Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Head trauma (August 11, 2006)

OMG, it's Friday!!!!!!! Finally, end of the week. I'm so tired, exhausted, lack of sleep. I wanted to go home on time, 4.30 PM.

(Sigh)............But what has happened? There will be a Capsule Endoscopy patient on Monday and Susan will be on vacation next week. So after went to Kemayoran to train the OT nurses, I had to go MKKG Hospital to do patient data entry. In the middle of training in Kemayoran, Cipto Hospital called and informed me that there will be a brain surgery at 4 PM to treat head trauma patient. Argghhhhh!!!!!!!

I was not in the mood, but on the other hand, it was excited because it would be our 1st case using the monitor.

When I was in MKKG Hospital, found out that there was no one in the endo room, I could't wait very long cause it was 3.30 PM. I rushed to Cipto Hospital, went to Neurosurgery Dept. Dr.Y was in a hurry and asked me to go to Emergency OT. Had some talk with Dr.F, then went to 4th floor of emergency building. Changed into OT uniform and witnessed my first head trauma case.

Dr.IB from Budhi Asih accompanied Dr.Y and Dr.C (they are residents).

It was a lady, around 49 years old. Got hit by a motorbike while she was crossing the road one day before surgery. She lost some of her teeth. Her skull in right part near right ear was dent (not in a round normal shape). She has blood clot inside the brain, brain was swollen. Neurosurgeons goal was to remove the clots, so brain was not so tight, giving brain some space to get back to normal condition. I saw her MRI pictures, her brain was displaced.

head_trauma

Right before closing the brain, my catheter was inserted. The function is to monitor the pressure inside her brain. Catheter was connected to my monitor. Voila!

Surgery started at 4 PM, finished at 10 PM. Thank God I can go home soon. Hmmm, never never felt relieved so fast. It turned out that the ICU was full and she had to wait until one of the patient was moved to other room. I couldn't leave and just go home. I had to show to ICU nurses how to use the monitor. So I stayed, maybe around 2 hours, felt cold in the OT. Then we waited outside OT, waited to move downstair where ICU is.


I left the hospital at 00.30 on August 12. Went to Sabang to find some food. I was very hungry. Arrived in the office at 01.15 AM. Damn it! My car wouldn't start! I asked Dedy to use kijang's battery to recharge mine, and I tried to start it again. It worked!

I drove home, and arrived home at 2 AM!!! One of my record at work!

No comments: